Usable in learning centers or as a whole class unit, this has a Tom Swifty introduction. The lesson guides students through improving their creative writing or narrative writing by substituting other words for "said" and "say" when they edit. This is especially good at the beginning of the year with their first creative writing.
This file includes:
- Teacher Directions and Ideas
- Board Lessons for the Tom Swifties, with a supporting handout.
- A practice worksheet with sentences for students to replace "said" and "say" with more meaningful substitutes.
- Two handouts, each with a short story which has students filling in blanks with substitutes for "say" and "said".
- A word search with possible word substitutes for "said", and adverbs that creatively modify verbs.
- A POSTER with "said" substitutes.
See the Preview for a sample of the worksheet and student handout.