A thirteen page comic book to introduce the history of trench warfare during World War 1. It outlines why and how the trenches were constructed and what life was like for the soldiers who used them. It also includes some unusual facts about trench life and a page of memorable quotes from characters who lived through the war. Contains a quiz and other useful resources, and can be printed out in black and white, used as a slide show on a computer, or as a PDF e.book on a tablet.
The Common Core states, 'There is a need in literature and social studies classes to evaluate content presented in diverse media and formats including visually and aurally.' I believe that comics and graphic novels can fulfill this standard and I hope you find this product an engaging way of teaching your students.
1. A thirteen page PDF color version of the comic with a comprehension quiz at the end. This can be printed out or displayed as a slideshow on a computer or used as an e.book on a tablet.
2. The same thirteen page PDF comic in black and white for easy printing.
3. An ePub version for teacher's use on a tablet.
4. A student print that has a section for dictionary work and an exercise for practicing some of the more difficult words in the comic.
5. A student answer print for the comic quiz and dictionary tasks.
6. Two writing prompts to extend the lesson. The first is a creative exercise to write a news report from the front line of any historical battle. The second is an essay question to use memorable quotes from World War 1 to illustrate the student's thoughts and feelings about war.
7. A teacher's notes print that provides directions on using the comic and useful links to sites about World War 1 and trench warfare.
All prints are in PDF format.
Other short comics in this history series can be found at the links below:
Womens Suffrage in Britain
Life in the Trenches - Comic Book
by Paul Carr (kibishipaul)
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License