This activity can be introduced in a US History class as part of the unit on WWI or as a larger unit on US Expansionism. This group project will allow students to take on a variety of roles to look at WWI on the home front in order to debate and answer the following questions:
o Should the US have joined WWI? Why/why not?
o Were the Espionage and Sedition Acts constitutional? Which ideals did they promote and which were hindered?
o Should Eugene Debs have been arrested and imprisoned? Why/why not?
The students will research their assigned group and point of view to answer the questions and then debate with the class so that a jury can decide on whether or not the involvement in WWI by the US was justified.
• Project Overview and Teacher Instructions
• Project Introduction Power Point
• Project Handout
• Project Grading Sheet
• *All files are editable
• Textbooks and laptops or computer lab access for research
• Photocopies of assignment sheet
• Ability to project information- LCD projector and (if necessary) document camera