This literacy unit is full of ready to use, NO PREP, literacy activities all focused on the weather. Your students will love learning to read and building literacy skills while exploring weather. These activities are great to use whole group, small group and independently. Just print and use today in your classroom.
Weather Literacy Activities included in this unit:
1. Simple One-Page Stories: independent center activity or small group
a. Rainbow Colors
b. My Umbrella
c. Colorful Kites: this can also be used as a pocket chart story, words and pictures included.
d. What kind of Weather do you like?
2. Emergent Reader (black-line) and Big Book (colored version): Rain
3. What Rhymes activity: independent center activity or small group
4. Simple One-Page Story: Weather
5. Emergent Reader: Wind
6. Emergent Reader: On a Rainy Day
7. Building Weather Words: independent center activity
8. Simple Sentence Match: independent center activity or small group
a. Types of Weather: Will there be _________ today? Ex: Will there be rain today?
b. Clothes for different types of weather: I will get my ________. I am ready for all kinds of weather.
Ex: I will get my mittens. I am ready for all kinds of weather.
9. Making Words: independent center activity or small group
10. Build a Sentence: independent center activity
a. The wind blew my kite high in the sky.
b. I like to play outside on a rainy day.
c. We play outside on a sunny day.
11. Weather Word Chart and Writing Center activity.
a. Rhymes with Rain vs. Does not rhyme with Rain
c. Long Ii vs. Short Ii