Watch Thou for the Mutant!
This dynamic Microsoft PowerPoint presentation explores the use (or misuse) of religion in John Wyndham's The Chrysalids by looking at Waknuk's religious tenets and comparing them to Christianity/Judaism's Ten Commandments and other religious/spiritual aphorisms from around the world. By way of compare and contrast, students begin to understand to how prejudice and hate can creep into a society’s belief system as presented in the novel. Further, this presentation can add to a social justice curriculum (i.e., anti-bullying, importance of routing out intolerance).
Included in this tastefully animated 14-slide .pptx presentation:
- Today's Lesson Agenda
- Distinction between Deviations, Offences and Blasphemies
- All nine of Waknuk's religious aphorisms.
- The Ten Commandments
- Various religious/spiritual aphorisms from around the world
- Point-form chart comparing/contrasting Waknuk's Religious Tenets to the Ten Commandments and various Spiritual Aphorisms from around the world
- Sample of six thought-provoking response questions to Waknuk's Religious Tenets (Click here for full lesson: Waknuk Religious Tenets Worksheet Lesson
- Homework slide
- Venn Diagram prompt for characters David Strorm and Joseph Strorm
(The distinction between Deviations, Offences, and Blasphemies; Religious Aphorisms from Around the World; The Ten Commandments are all available in small poster versions [cleaner for printing] in the additional product listed below.)
I also have a 21-page .pdf document (lesson plan and accompanying handouts/worksheets) which complements this PowerPoint presentation; it is an optional, not essential, accompaniment to this PowerPoint Presentation:
Waknuk Religious Tenets Worksheet Lesson