Get Your Staff and Students Moving!!
This is an awesome way to get your students and teachers motivated to log miles in your walking or running club at school or just for fun.
We started in our hometown in KY. Our students and staff turned in mileage tickets towards our tour of the U.S. Every time that we earned enough miles to make it to our next stopping point another historical fact sheet was placed on the wall. A red line was drawn on the map to measure our progress.
Each historical place has a pdf file that is ready to print to place on the wall. It tells the students where it is located and when it became historically significant. The best part about it is there is a QR code on the page that can be scanned by the teacher or student's iPad, or phone that will take them to a website or link with more information such as pictures, video or even sounds!
What you will need to do:
1. Draw a large map to cut out and put on the wall or use one that you may have in your room.
2. Print out the historical places from the PDF file.
3. Print out the mileage tickets for staff and students.
4. Add up weekly the miles that are turned in with the tickets.
5. Calculate the distance between your starting point and the next destination on the map using google maps, mapquest or a similar mapping tool.
6. Draw a red line on your map and then put up the printable sheet that matches the historical stopping point.
You can use this during P.E. class, traveling between classes, or as a separate mini-lesson.