Warlock’s Capriol Suite is a staple of the intermediate to advanced high school orchestra repertoire. Included in this package are:
• A lesson plan for teaching musical form and analysis, as well as the relationship between music and culture.
• A one-page table with a description of the dance steps affiliated with each movement of the suite, plus fill-in-the-blank columns for students to write analysis of the music and the dance types.
• A page with YouTube links that show recreations of the Renaissance dance steps affiliated with each movement.
• A 4-page essay of Warlock’s biography and the circumstances surrounding the composition of Capriol Suite. This essay is an edited version of the 18-page treatise found on Wikipedia, combined with material from the Peter Warlock Foundation web site. Although lengthy, the essay aims to get students to make a connection between the composer’s lifestyle and his premature death. This document is in Word format so the user may edit as needed.
• A short-answer worksheet allowing students to demonstrate their understanding of the reading materials, as well as to reflect on the connection between the composer’s lifestyle and his premature death.
• Teacher keys/answer sheets with suggested scoring.