GLOBAL 9, UNIT 6
THE PRE-COLUMBIAN ERA and the AGE OF EXPLORATION
- ACTIVITY 1 -- TEXT ANALYSIS: Students will compare and contrast the voyages of both Leif Erikson and Christopher Columbus. They will then determine whether or not anyone 'discovered' America.
- ACTIVITY 2 -- VIDEO: Students will analyze a video and identify three points that make Christopher Columbus a hero and three points that make him a villain. *LINK IS PROVIDED* -- in my district, YouTube is enabled. Check to make sure that YouTube is enabled in your district prior to purchase. If not, substitute for a video of your choice. Word Doc is provided for editing.
- ACTIVITY 3 -- CRQ: Students will complete a CRQ in which they have to compare two documents about Columbus' voyages to the Americas.
- ACTIVITY 4 -- ASSESSMENT/POLITICAL CARTOON: Students will analyze a political cartoon.
- ASSESSMENT: Students may complete the cartoon for assessment, or answer the AIM using the R.A.C.E.S. format (FREE Download Here).
- ADDITIONAL RESOURCE INCLUDED: PowerPoint with photos of Viking settlements and maps of Columbus' maiden voyage.