Water plays an important role in our lives. Teaching students to use water wisely can help prepare them to be concerned enough to ensure that there is plenty of safe, clean water for the future. Water conservation impacts us in many ways from financial to the environment.
Our goal with our Program is to inspire students to join in the conservation effort and become part of the Water Detectives™ team. Only by spreading the word, making others more aware and knowledgeable about the problems can we hope to work towards solving the problem.
Here are some of the benefits for the students:
1. Become more aware of water use
2. Develop new ways to conserve water
3. Practice problem solving and team building skills
4. Become more knowledgeable of water wasting situations
5. Use basic math and writing skills to complete the activities
6. Examine water usage as it affects homes and their community
7. Understand the environmental impact of water usage
The program that we have developed builds on basic science skills and information for use at the elementary school level. The core of our program is the HOME AUDIT FORM which takes students on an investigative case throughout their home. They work in teams and discuss ideas on how to conserve water in the home, in the school and everywhere else.