The water cycle fluency passage is intended to integrate a reading fluency practice with your water cycle lesson. The material has a numbered paragraph and a bar graph chart for students to record their progress. This is a practice passage not intended for grading. It may be easily used for intervention and as a formative assessment.
How to use the passage:
1. Print pages 1-2
2. Provide each student with a copy
3. Introduce the passage modeling the pace and adequate intonation
4. Allow children the opportunity to illustrate their understanding on the first page
5. Assign the passage for homework practice
6. On daily basis have a 60 seconds reading routine for practice. Use a timer.
7. While children practice aloud the teacher monitors progress.
8. During centers or individual intervention, the teacher may run records accurately.
9. Allow children to read the passage at their will.
10. Maintain this and other passages in a reading fluency folder.
11. Have conferences with your students to recognize their effort.
12. Consider using the Growth Mindset Feedback Tool (Dweck, 2013)