Products in this Bundle (6)
showing 1-5 of 6 products
Splash! Are you ready for some fun STEM water activities that students love? This bundle has six that we created and explored and tested just for you! It's Building Boats, Water Slides, Water Towers, Sailboats, Flood Barriers, and Water Pipelines.
Students will follow the steps of the Engineering Design Process for each challenge. The packages contain step-by-step procedures for the teacher that are clearly marked with the Design Process steps. The accompanying lab sheets for students are also marked. Each challenge includes photos, helpful hints, sample student answers with lab sheets, and scoring rubrics. Best of all, all forms are included in an editable format!
Please note: This package contains six challenges. Each may be purchased separately. CHECK MY NOTE AT THE BOTTOM TO HELP YOU DECIDE IF THIS IS THE RIGHT SET OF CHALLENGES FOR YOU!
What are the challenges?
This STEM activity will have your students designing and building a boat! Using simple supplies you probably already have on hand, students choose which materials they wish to use. To make this even more challenging students have a materials spending budget and must stay within it while building their boat. Materials you will need include straws, masking, tape, craft foam, aluminum foil, waxed paper, plastic wrap, cups, water containers, weight (like pennies), and lots of paper towels! NOTE: Materials are what we used and you can choose differently depending on what you have readily available. You will also need to set up a float station in which to test the boats. A dishpan full of water will work!
In this challenge, students will be using materials to plan a design and then construct a working water slide that will transport a toy figure down the slide- without leaking water. The main materials for the slide part are not waterproof so students will have to plan ahead for how to line their slide so it won’t spill water. The slide must also resemble a slide, have an optional turn in it, and have an access point- like a ladder. You will need supplies including straws, pipe cleaners, aluminum foil, plastic wrap, waxed paper, bowls, masking tape, cardboard tubes, paper towels, cups, and toy figures.
This challenge is to build a tower that will hold a cup of water aloft. The tower must be a specific height and the water container must rest at the top, but unrestrained. When the tower is stable, water is added and the tower must remain standing for a specified amount of time. Supplies needed include straws, masking tape, craft foam sheets, craft sticks, dowel sticks (3/16 inch diameter and 12 inches long), small plastic containers, water, and a measuring cup for 50 mL.
This STEM challenge will have your students designing and building a boat using only a few supplies. The real trick is that the boat must sail when wind is added. Finally, the boat will be tested for its ability to hold weight. Throughout the challenge, students will test for floating ability, then sailing, and then holding weight. They will also modify whenever they find their boats taking on water! It’s a very competitive activity but filled with collaborative opportunities and creative designing. You will need supplies including aluminum foil, copy paper, straws, craft sticks, tape, straws, craft foam, cardboard pieces, water containers, towels, and a fan.
The specifics about this challenge:
- This challenge is to experiment with absorbent materials to try to find the one that absorbs the most water. Then students are challenged to use available items to build a barrier that will slow or stop the flow of water.
- One of the building items can be the absorbent material the team found to be the best. The rest of the materials are just things you gather that they can use to build a barrier. The barrier is built inside a pan and when the team is ready you will pour two cups of water into the pan to see if the barrier works.
- The tricky part of this challenge is that the house is made of paper! So, the barrier must work!
- The scenario we used for this challenge was to build a barrier to protect a doghouse!
- In addition to the experiment and building of the barrier, students will also work with a budget feature for the task. The building items will be priced and students will choose these while staying within a given budget. The cost sheet we used is provided, as well as an editable cost sheet in case you need to change the building items and/or prices.
- Materials you will need in addition to this package include 5-6 different items to test for absorbency (like cotton balls and sponges), foam cups, graduated cylinders, dishpans or aluminum trays, stopwatches, craft sticks, straws, paper clips, rubber bands, and masking tape.
In this challenge, students will be using materials to design and build a gravity-powered water pipeline. They will transport water from the main tank to a smaller tank using an incline that will allow this movement. They must also carefully connect the pipes and make sure those connections are watertight. Testing and plugging leaks will be part of the task. This is an easy prep challenge with simple supplies, but takes lots of trial and error and thinking! Students will also be intrigued by the scenario of building the pipeline which tackles a household chore- how to get water to your dogs! You will need supplies including straws, cups in two sizes, craft sticks in two sizes, masking tape, rubber bands, and towels.
JUST A NOTE:
To help you decide if this is the right bundle for you here are my suggestions:
- Boats, Sailboats, and Water Slides have been tested with 3rd graders. These could easily be used with older students- just modify the task constraints to make them more challenging.
- Water Towers and Flood Barriers have been tested with 4th graders. Third graders could complete water towers, but flood barriers would be very challenging.
- Water Pipelines has been tested with 5th graders. It is definitely a challenge for upper elementary students.
This set is a combination of six STEM Challenges. If you prefer they may be purchased separately:
You can also purchase STEM 3-Packs with these challenges.
- Water 3-Pack #1 (Boats, Water Slides, Water Towers)
- Water 3-Pack #2 (Sailboats, Flood Barriers, Water Pipelines)
Or save even more with this giant STEM Bundle:
You might also be interested in these 6-Packs:
- Bridges and Platforms
- Building Fun
- Easy Supplies #1
- Easy Supplies #2
- Math Skills
- Newton's Laws
- Real-Life Adventures #1
- Real-Life Adventures #2
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies, and product launches:
Click here to follow my store. It’s that easy to receive email updates about Teachers Are Terrific!
Keep in Touch!
Thank you so much,
Teachers Really are Terrific!