This is one of the first lessons I use when I introduce the personal narrative genre of writing.
This packet includes:
- two posters explaining the difference between a watermelon story and a seed story
- a 2-sided worksheet with 20 items where students read a topic idea, and they must determine whether the story idea would produce a watermelon story or a seed story
- a sorting activity with 15 story ideas; students determine whether the story idea would produce a watermelon story or a seed story
- a graphic organizer
- a watermelon anchor chart idea
- a narrative explanation of how I use these materials
Check out the preview!
If you are looking for a PowerPoint to introduce this analogy, feel free to check this one out:
Watermelon vs. Seed Ideas: A PowerPoint and Worksheet Companion
By Deb Hanson 2015