Card sorts are amazing! They give students the ability to work with vocabulary in a way that helps foster meaningful discussions with one another about content and helps you as the instructor to check for understanding.
You will need to print the Waves Card Sort CARDS PDF document and then cut the pages into individual squares/cards per group. I put each set of cards in a zip lock bag and really emphasize not letting them mix with the other group’s cards.
First have the students sort the vocabulary cards with the definition cards and discuss their rationale as groups (most will not get every single one correct), then have them present to the class why they put them in that order, or you can go around group to group and they can explain to you.
Once the discussion is over and every group has the Vocabulary cards matched with the correct definition, have them fill in the vocabulary chart. Some of the vocabulary is somewhat abstract and may be difficult to draw a picture, but this is a good metacognitive exercise.
I also provide a list of helpful YouTube Clips that could help the students sort them correctly. I have them sort the cards without any background knowledge/scaffolding. I then show some of the clips and as they watch the clips they can rearrange their cards. Again it’s a great metacognitive activity.
I wouldn’t use all the cards for middle school, it would be too rigorous. However, I recommend you use them all for the high school.
Please follow me, give feedback on TPT and email me with any questions: email@example.com
Thanks so much!!!
This Activity covers NGSS Disciplinary Core Ideas (DCI):
PS4.A: Wave Properties
• A simple wave has a repeating pattern with a specific wavelength, frequency, and amplitude.(MS-PS4-1)
• A sound wave needs a medium through which it is transmitted. (MS-PS4-2)
PS4.B: Electromagnetic Radiation
• When light shines on an object, it is reflected, absorbed, or transmitted through the object, depending on the object’s material and the frequency (color) of the light. (MS-PS4-2)
• The path that light travels can be traced as straight lines, except at surfaces between different transparent materials (e.g., air and water, air and glass) where the light path bends.(MS-PS4-2)
• A wave model of light is useful for explaining brightness, color, and the frequency-dependent bending of light at a surface between media. (MS-PS4-2)
• However, because light can travel through space, it cannot be a matter wave, like sound or water waves. (MS-PS4-2)
PS4.C: Information Technologies and Instrumentation
• Digitized signals (sent as wave pulses) are a more reliable way to encode and transmit information. (MS-PS4-3)
This Activity covers NGSS Crosscutting Concepts (CCC):
• Graphs and charts can be used to identify patterns in data. (MS-PS4-1)
Structure and Function
• Structures can be designed to serve particular functions by taking into account properties of different materials, and how materials can be shaped and used. (MS-PS4-2)
• Structures can be designed to serve particular functions. (MS-PS4-3)
Connections to Engineering, Technology, and Applications of Science
Influence of Science, Engineering, and Technology on Society and the Natural World
• Technologies extend the measurement, exploration, modeling, and computational capacity of scientific investigations. (MS-PS4-3)
Connections to Nature of Science
Science Is a Human Endeavor
• Advances in technology influence the progress of science and science has influenced advances in technology. (MS-PS4-3)
This activity includes the following vocabulary:
Visible light spectrum
Speed of Sound
Check out more of my Middle School Science Products below:
Periodic Table Baby Book
Periodic Table Computer Lab
5E Oobleck Lab
Elements, Atoms, Compounds and Molecules Card Sort
Flipping the Classroom Periodic Table Frayer Models
Chemistry of Ice Cream
States of Matter Warm Ups
Conservation of Mass Lab
Dancing Raisins Lab
Physical Science Scaffolded Notes
States of Matter Computer Lab
STEM Roller Coaster Lab
NGSS Speed, Time, Distance, Acceleration and Graphing Worksheets
Physics Speed, Time and Distance Problems
STEM Paper Airplane Competition
Physical Science Scaffolded/Guided Notes for a Year + 8 PREZIS
Balloon Rockets Lab
NGSS Kinetic and Potential Energy Card sort
Forces Warm Up
Energy Warm Up
Roller Coaster Energy Warm Up