In this unit, perfect for Halloween or a larger unit on Poe, students will create an annotated version of Edgar Allan Poe’s “The Raven” and then present or publish their final draft.
This Common-Core-aligned assignment gives students an opportunity to practice doing a close reading. Close reading asks each student to use all they’ve learned about poetry, poetic devices, word choice, symbols, theme, mood, and even research to decipher the meaning of Poe’s most read poem, “The Raven.”
INCLUDED IN THIS UNIT:
* A PowerPoint that introduces and explains the annotation assignment
* An Annotating Worksheet with a full-text version of the poem
* A Close Reading Checklist to keep students on track
* A Poetic Devices PowerPoint and accompanying handout
* A Grading Rubric for the final product
* A Teacher’s Guide complete with Common-Core standards, links to audio versions of the poem, and suggested online resources to provide scaffolding for the students as they work
The files come as PDFs as well as editable MS Word documents so you can customize or change them to fit your needs.
Enjoy! And don’t forget to write a review.
Created by Anna Durfee