Also included in
- What a great time-saver and money-saver this bundle will be for your study of weather! This amazing bundle has a Weather Escape Room, a Quick STEM Challenge, and a Weather Print and Read resource.Note: The Escape Room and Reading resources in this bundle may be purchased separately. Weather Escape$7.50$9.50Save $2.00
- Are you ready to try an Escape Room event with your elementary students? I have some perfect choices for you and even a free sample! An Escape room is a puzzle game in which students solve riddles and puzzles and find clues to finish tasks. In these Escape Room students solve puzzles to open locked$74.00$93.50Save $19.50
If your students are loving Escape Rooms they are going to flip over this one! It's all about weather. Add a little bit of science, some math problems, and matching idioms to their meanings and you have the puzzles for this escape!
NOTE: This Escape Room is available in a money-saving bundle!
• Escape Room Mega Bundle
STEM Escape Rooms are missions that involve solving riddles and tasks to find clues to open a locked box. Students work together to find the keywords that lead to the needed information to unlock a lock.
What could be more perfect for your weather study than an Escape Room mission and a STEM Challenge! It brings hands-on exploration right into the middle of your lesson! This Unlock the Box Event is perfect for adding some fun elements to your studies and will create some fabulous problem-solving opportunities for your students!
Unlocking Box 1 will be solved by students matching images of weather instruments to descriptions of the tools. They will have a Weather Tools Dictionary to help them with the matching. After unlocking the box, they grab the items for Task 2. This one will have students completing a math paper that solves a weather riddle. The riddle’s answer will lead students to the lock code for Box 2. Task 3 has students matching idiom meanings to sentences that use the idioms correctly. If this is done correctly they will spell a word that leads to a poster and the lock code for the last box.
BUT there is MORE! Included in this Escape Room is a STEM Challenge! You can use the challenge as a stand-alone project or use it with the Escape Room. This Quick Challenge is to build a working model of an anemometer. Save this challenge for a windy day because it works so well outdoors!
You will need three number locks for this escape room. Directions are included to use this set without these locks! You will also need three boxes. This can be a plastic or metal toolbox, but any box will work- even a cardboard box! Directions and photos are included for how to set up the boxes and locks or how to use a version without locks. You do not need 3 boxes and 3 locks per group! It’s three boxes and three locks for the entire class.
Included in the Escape Room file of this resource, you will find:
- Table of contents
- 3 pages of tips and tricks for setting up everything
- Box 1- 2 pages of teacher directions, student directions, Weather Tools Dictionary page, weather tools cards, description cards, additional student directions and cards to make the task more difficult, two weather posters, and the box labels
- Box 2- 2 pages of teacher directions, student directions, two versions of math problems, answer keys for the math pages, two weather posters, and box labels.
- Box 3 – 2 pages of teacher directions, student directions, one page of idiom strips, one page of idiom sentences, two weather posters, and box labels.
- Miscellaneous forms include Hint cards for each task, an alternative locking system (made of paper), a Planning Check-Off Sheet, Certificates to award students completing the task
- All pages are provided in a black and white version.
Included in the STEM Challenge file you will find:
- Overview and hints page
- 3 pages of teacher directions
- Criteria cards for student use
- Lab sheet with an answer sample
- 3 pages of photos
- Scoring rubric
- The scoring rubric, lab sheet, and criteria cards are editable.
Materials needed for the STEM Challenge include paper cups, straws, masking tape, new pencils, and push pins.
Check the preview to see everything!
Your Prep includes: printing, laminating, and cutting out the weather tools cards, student directions cards, posters, idiom strips, and box labels. Also, printing the math papers and cutting those problems apart (optional). Approx. prep time is 30 minutes plus setting up the boxes (attaching labels and locking) and displays (displaying posters).
One more thing to note: This was tested with fourth and fifth graders. Older students were able to complete the Quest and STEM Challenge in one class session. Fourth graders took two class sessions. Third graders could complete this Quest and STEM Challenge.
You might also enjoy these weather-related resources:
- Weather Tools Little Flipper
- Weather- Creating a Non-Fiction Text Features Booklet
- Weather Boom Cards
- Weather Paperless Task Cards
For more Escape Rooms, click below:
- Land Forms
- Space Shuttles
- Winter Sports
- End of the Year
- Valentine's Day
- Animal Adaptations
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies, and product launches:
Click here to follow my store. It’s that easy to receive email updates about Teachers Are Terrific!
Keep in Touch!
Thank you so much,
Teachers Really are Terrific!