Weather has always played an important part of everyday life. Long before modern meteorology and weather forecasting, people found ways to predict the weather. Much of this was done through catchy phrases or poems that were easy to remember. Many of the weather sayings that developed from observations were focused around farmers and sailors because of their direct ties to nature. This lesson looks at popular weather sayings.
• What are some weather sayings (proverbs) that people use?
• What are the scientific connections between these proverbs and meteorology?
• To understand that weather sayings are a part of daily life.
• To understand that weather sayings have a cultural link to a community.
• To research and explain weather patterns.