Weighty Matters is a fun game for middle school students to help them stop confusing weight, mass, volume, and density! My own students really enjoyed playing and they finally learned the difference between these types of measurements.
Your purchase includes:
1. A product description, including how to make and play the game
2. Three pages of playing cards (54 total questions)!
3. Two game boards – one with full color and one with less color if you want to save on ink.
4. Four background images that you can use to print on the opposite side of the playing cards to make them more visually appealing.
5. One page of playing pieces or “Einsteins”.
6. One editable sheet (.docx) that you can use to label the opposite side of your playing pieces to help with sorting.
7. NEW: One quiz (with answers!) to check for student understanding!
How to Play:
Each group needs a game board, one set of questions, and playing pieces.
One player draws a card and reads the question to another player.
- If they answer the question correctly, they move their playing piece forward one spot.
- If they don’t get the question right, their turn is over.
The first Einstein to make it to the end wins the game!
Some sample questions:
-The kilogram (kg) is the basic SI unit used to measure what? (mass)
-True or false: Your mass would change if you were on the moon. (false)
-This is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. (weight)
-A graduated cylinder is a commonly used tool to measure what? (volume)
-True or false: Density measures how much mass is contained in a given volume. (true)
Please check out the Preview for more sample questions and a better look at what’s included!
If you like this product, you might also be interested in:
Metric Measurement Dominoes: A Science Game for Grades 5-8
The Crafty Clip at MyGrafico
© 2013 Adventures in Science
Permission to copy for single classroom only.
This file may not be shared with others.
by Adventures in Science
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License