If your students love to ☺chat☺ as much as mine when they return from ⛄Winter Vacation, leverage that excitement for a meaningful and fun writing activity! With these NO PREP welcome back from Winter Break activiies, students share with their classmates about their Christmas, Kwanzaa, Hanukkah, New Year's Eve, and winter break activities to complete a "Find Someone Who" activity. Next, they discuss their vacation and complete a Venn diagram comparing the events of each partner's break. Finally, students write a 2 paragraph comparison & contrast essay to explain how their Holiday Break was similar to and different from their partner's break.
Give yourself the gift of a no-prep & stress-free
way to kick off the New Year in your classroom!
⛵Save your lesson planning brain power with no-prep activities for after EVERY break
⛱ and save $ with the big Welcome Back from Vacations BUNDLE
with ELA activities for returning from Thanksgiving
, Winter Break
, Spring Break
, Summer Vacation
, and the Weekend
1. Copy the "Find Someone Who" and the Venn diagram printables back to back for each student (your choice of color or black and white). Have students move around the classroom and find classmates that did each of the activities listed on the "Find Someone Who" activity. Challenge students to find a different person for each space. Students sign boxes with the activities they did during break.
2. Students partner up to discuss their breaks one-on-one while they complete the Venn diagram to compare and contrast their Holiday Vacation to their partner’s break.
3. Finally, students use the writing prompt page to write 2 paragraphs explaining how their break was similar and different from their partner’s holiday. Point out the key word example boxes and writing checklist for differentiation and writing support. You may also wish to differentiate by having partners collaborate and write their essays together.
4. Students share their writing at the end of your ELA time!
Includes 3 no prep activities for after the holidays in color & black/white
1. "Find Someone Who..."
2. Venn diagram for comparing the weekend
3. Comparison and contrast writing prompt page
☮, ♡, & happy teachering!
©2014 Teachering, Amber Genzink. All rights reserved.
This resource is for use by 1 teacher only (the original downloader). If other teachers at your school would like to use the materials, please purchase additional licenses. At the time of purchase, these additional licenses can be purchased for half price. :) Copying for other teachers or classrooms, or departments, schools, or the school systems is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. It may NOT be uploaded to school/district servers, or to any website, or shared digitally or by printed copies. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). Thank you for respecting my time and work.
I appreciate your business and support, and will continue to do my best to bring you high quality, helpful elementary resources!