Two of America’s most iconic institutions located in the state of West Virginia. One served as a home for the mentally ill, while the other served as a prison for some of the most ruthless criminals of their time. Both institutions contain a detailed history and are both considered today to be part of the most haunted places in America. Gain your students interest in history with this bundle that focuses on two institutions that may not always appear in a history book, the West Virginia State Penitentiary and the Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum!
What You Receive When You Purchase This Product:
1. 2 PowerPoint Presentations – 25 slides of content covering the origins of the prison, several high profile escapes and riots, and its role in society! 12 slides of content covering the origins of the asylum and the treatment for the mentally ill to their modern day roles.
2. 2 Outlines –Guided reading style outline for students to fill in and discuss as the presenter goes over the PowerPoint. Answer keys included!
3. 5 News Articles and Document Based Questions– Five articles written at the time of the events, covering the escapes and riots and the contents of each event. Each article comes with a set of document based questions specific to that article.
4. Preview and Review Questions – Designed to get the students thinking before they begin to examine and analyze the articles. These questions check for understanding of certain academic vocabulary, as well as require the students to think on a higher level and examine multiple points of view throughout the activity.
5. Teacher Resource Guide – A breakdown of the assignment for first time use, designed to make the lesson run smoothly and aid in any questions the instructor may have
6. Quality work that has been used in my own classroom to great success!