Westward Expansion – A Fourth Grade SMARTBoard Introduction is a SMARTBoard 4th grade level instructional presentation.
It includes: a SMARTBoard presentation of the text along with two interactive slides that are also available in PDF format to print and issue as classwork, homework, or attach/incorporate into an interactive notebook (after matching definitions with pictures, definitions may be secured to interactive notebook and edge of matching picture can be secured on top of it so it may be flipped up for study purposes). Students can also complete the activities during the presentation as reinforcement for the presentation.
The presentation includes:
• Introduction to light terminology (territory, Louisiana Purchase, expedition, canal, and frontier).
• Expansion into the Northwest Territory (Battle of Fallen Timbers)
• Introduction to Tecumseh
• Thomas Jefferson and the Louisiana Purchase
• Sacagawea, Lewis, and Clark
• Steamboats, Erie Canal, and Railroads
• Battle of the Alamo and the annexation of Texas
• Mexican/American War
• Gold Rush of 1848
The last 2 slides are white-background slides used for the printables. The printables are already in PDF form in the package. The white-background pages are not included in the total pages. I include them in case you would like to change any of the data and recreate the printables.
The interactive/review slides and printables:
• Activity one has students identifying terminology through a matching activity. Terms included are Gold Rush, Thomas Jefferson, Tecumseh, Louisiana Purchase, expedition, Alamo, territory, steamboat, railroad, Sacagawea, Louis & Clark, and Erie Canal.
• Activity two has students identifying Westward Expansion map locations and events through a matching activity. Events/locations include United States (before 1803), Northwest Territory, Louisiana Purchase, U.S. territory/California after war with Mexico, Texas (1846), Mexico (after U.S. war with Mexico), Lewis and Clark expedition.