Also included in
- Looking for a way to increase students' interest in United States geography, Native Americans, and American history through Westward Expansion? These interactive notebooks hook students on history - and support their reading skills! These units include interactive activities, maps, vocabulary, graph$41.00$51.25Save $10.25
- American History Traditional & Digital Interactive Notebook MegaBundle for Upper ElementaryAre you looking for American History interactive notebooks, but want the flexibility to take notes both on interactive pieces and digitally? This bundle contains both my paper bundle and digital bundle -$89.00$127.25Save $38.25
Support upper elementary students’ reading skills with this Western Expansion Interactive Notebook. This editable unit reviews many events, including the War of 1812, Industrial Revolution and the Pioneer Trails. It includes interactive activities, maps, timeline, vocabulary, graphic organizers, and assessment.
This interactive notebook includes activities, maps, and organizers on the following topics:
- Integrating Information
- Primary Sources: Newspapers
- Northwest Ordinance
- Cumberland Gap
- Louisiana Purchase
- Corps of Discovery
- Zebulon Pike
- Vocabulary: pioneer expedition, interpreter
- Embargo Act
- War of 1812
- Adams-Onis Treaty
- Monroe Doctrine
- Vocabulary: neutral, impressment
- Industrial Revolution
- Eli Whitney
- Textile Mills
- Agricultural Revolution
- Erie Canal
- Growth of Cities
- New Inventions Puzzles: Pony Express, Railroad, Telegraph, Canals, National Road, and Fulton’s Steamboat
- Vocabulary: application, stagecoach, immigrant
- Missouri Compromise
- Age of Jackson
- Indian Removal Act
- Trail of Tears
- The Seminoles
- Vocabulary: slave state, free state, Union
- Mountain Men
- Westward Expansion
- Oregon Trail
- Pioneer Life
- War with Mexico
- Gadsden Purchase
- Trails West
- Gold Rush
- John C. Fremont
- Vocabulary: manifest destiny, wagon train, overland wagon, forty-niners
- Vocabulary Flashcards
- 2 Chapter Tests
Students often struggle to determine what information is important in a nonfiction text. These organizers have topics and guiding questions on them, which helps students identify the main ideas and key details in their text. This interactive notebook could either be used in social studies or when teaching nonfiction reading skills in language arts.
There are 40+ pages of activities, plus a complete answer key. Also, two chapter tests are included. File includes both a PDF version and an editable PowerPoint version of the unit.
All text in the unit is editable, although the organizers and clipart are not. Teachers can edit the topics and questions so they better fit their informational texts.
Worried about prep? The included organizers are designed to save prep time. They are easy-to cut shapes and the pages are arranged so there is as little cutting as possible.
Teachers Love It!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ “We love the interactive notebooks or worksheets. They enjoy cutting, sorting, coloring etc. It does help to make them interested and staying on task.” – Megan C.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ “This is super helpful for my students who need strong visuals and easier ways to have content organized and easy to understand.” – Morgan S.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ “This resource is a great way to engage students in learning about American history. It works great for interactive notebooks or stand alone worksheets.” – J Lang
*Please note, this unit includes the same activities as my Western Expansion DIGITAL Interactive Notebook, but these graphic organizers are designed to be copied, cut, and pasted. Teachers may want to use both versions with students to meet different needs.
*This resource is meant to be used with a textbook or as teacher-led notes. If teachers need informational texts for their students, my Western Expansion Flipbook covers the same material. A PDF correlating the text lessons and the notebook activities is included.
This unit covers the Florida standards for 5th grade social studies, which is U.S. Geography and U.S. History through Westward Expansion. This unit focuses on the standards referencing the Westward Expansion period.
⭐Save $$$ with the Bundle⭐
Purchase the United States History Interactive Notebook Social Studies Bundle to receive seven units that cover the Florida standards for 5th grade social studies, which is U.S. Geography and U.S. History through Westward Expansion.
Copyright ©️ Amy Mezni
Permission to use with a single classroom only (one teacher).
Please purchase additional licenses if you intend to share this resource.