Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
This STEM project explores how settlers to the western regions of the U.S. would build their homestead using area and perimeter! You provide materials for students to design and build their own homestead in a 1/2 hour time limit. This STEM's goal is to explore area and perimeter measurement within a real-life setting. All the materials you need for documenting student progress are found inside!
This is the same STEM as The Land Remembered STEM!
Look What's Inside Westward Expansion STEM!
For the Teacher
• Notes for the Teacher including Prep Work, Material Suggestions and instructions
for the video that students watch from the online source
• Sample project pictures page
• A Problem Description Page
• Project Criteria and Constraints
• ASK Page "How can we build a homestead using natural materials and math skills?"
• ASK Video link page
• IMAGINE Direction page
• PLAN Directions with further criteria
• CREATE Direction page
• IMPROVE Directions page where students are prompted to make improvements.
• ALL of the above pages in a COLOR option
• TIME TO Build! Color page
• IMAGINE student work page
• ASK student work page to record information about area and perimeter
• PLAN student work page
• CREATE student work page
• DESIGN STYLE AND OBSERVATION student work page
• IMPROVE student work page
• REFLECT student work page where students answer reflection questions
• QUOTE page in black and white
• QUOTE page in color
PowerPoint Includes :
• Title slide similar to the cover of the product
• Clearing the Homestead slide
• ASK slide
• ASK slide video page
• IMAGINE slide
• PLAN slide
• CREATE slide
• TIME TO Build slide
• IMPROVE slide
• Project quote slide
Materials suggested for this project include Measuring instruments of all kinds, scissors, foil, camo duct tape, pencils, play dough or clay, packing tape, glue, sticks, paper, felt, popsicle sticks, liquid glue, poster board, toilet paper rolls, cardboard, toothpicks, construction paper, rubber bands, boxes, paper plates, fake fur, tape, or anything else your kids can imagine!
If you are interested in more products like this one, follow me by clicking HERE!
Other Items You May Be Interested In:
Please be sure to follow me for new products, 1/2 price for a limited time! Also, all TPT Teachers love feedback! Please take a minute after you download to share how you feel about any product you download!
Julie from The Best Days :)