These self-checking task cards for Westward Expansion use QR codes to link to labeled PHOTOS showing the correct answers! The visuals take self-checking QR codes to a whole new level of engagement and support ELLs and visual learners. My energetic students love when I tape these task cards around the room to let them MOVE while reviewing Westward Expansion. This activity is based on 4th grade Social Studies standards.
Westward Expansion Concepts Included & Description of the Linked Photo
All photos are also labeled with the vocabulary term:
- Photo shows a gold miner's rail cart filled with raw gold, illustrating how mined gold was often transported.(Background is present day.)
Lewis & Clark Expedition
- Photo shows the sextant tool that is described in the clue as being very important to the Lewis & Clark expedition.
- Photo of a buffalo standing in the prairie to show the type of landscape and natural resources gained with the Louisiana Purchase.
- Photo of 2 Native Americans in traditional dress.
- A photo of a section of the remaining Oregon Trail, with brush and trees growing up on either side.
- A photo of Sacajawea on several coins, showing her great contribution to the Lewis and Clark Expedition is still remembered in the present day.
- A photo of a moving steam locomotive showing steam coming from the engine.
- A photo of a refurbished steamboat with a waterwheel.
- A photo of a telegraph.
- A black and white photo of the Alamo building.
These Westward Expansion task cards work with any FREE QR code reader app to easily integrate technology and makes an engaging, nearly no prep technology center for 1:1 iPad classrooms, BYOD schools, and classrooms with just a couple old Smartphones (like mine!). :)
These task cards with QR codes link to photos in Dropbox.
Please download my FREE Test Taking Strategies Task Cards
and check that the QR codes open on your school device (and on school WiFi) before purchasing this product. I value your time!
♥Want to save time?
Find this American West resource and 11 other Social Studies task card sets in this Big ol' Social Studies Bundle
♥Want to save your SANITY?
Save TIME, $$$, and your ✎lesson planning brain power by having
Weekly QR Code Centers
ready for the YEAR. Have a cross-curricular, self-checking, independent center for every week
Copyright 2015, Amber Genzink, Teachering. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted to copy pages specifically designed for student or teacher use by the original purchaser or licensee. The reproduction or distribution of any other part of this product is strictly prohibited. At the time of purchase, additional copies of products can be purchased at half price at my Teachers Pay Teachers store for sharing with others. Duplicating any part of this product and placing it on the Internet in any form (even a personal/classroom website) is strictly forbidden. This would make the product available on the Internet, free of charge, and is a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). Thank you for respecting my time and work. I appreciate your business and support!