Engage your students in learning about life in the 1800's during the Westward Expansion unit using this ready-to-go complete unit!
Students will work in small groups, individually, and as a whole class to learn important concepts on the Westward Expansion movement.
The following concepts are covered:
- What was Westward Expansion and when did it occur?
- The Louisiana Purchase and the expeditions of Lewis and Clark
- The War of 1812
- Indian Act Removal and the Trail of Tears
- New ways of communication and travel during the 1800's (national road, steam boat, steam locomotive, Pony Express, Erie Canal, transcontinental railroad, telegraph)
- Texas Revolution and the Alamo
- Oregon Trail
- The Gold Rush
Unit Resources Include
- Detailed Teacher Guide with everything you need for each lesson. All needed resources are downloadable directly from the guide making prep a breeze! The teacher guide includes a unit overview and detailed daily lesson plans. The lesson plans include easy-to-follow information about student objectives, materials needed, teacher preparation required, and the steps on how to conduct the lesson. You'll even find sample anchor charts and answer keys embedded right into the teacher guide.
- Student Activity Packet - Student activity pages to go along with the daily lessons (students resources are printable OR google classroom compatible.)
- 37 anchor slides to go along with each lesson. This anchor lessons are provided in PowerPoint, PDF, and PNG image files to meet your needs.
- A 39 (full-colored) Piece bulletin Board set to reinforce learned concepts
- Westward Expansion Picture Cards - a fun small-group introductory activity where students explore images of the Westward Expansion era (google classroom compatible)
- 3 Originally Written Articles to teach about different concepts of Westward Expansion (google classroom compatible)
- Reader's Theater Script to introduce the Trail of Tears (google classroom compatible)
- Gallery Walk Posters for teaching about the War of 1812 and it's impact on westward expansion (google classroom compatible)
- Learning Cards & Small Group Poster Activity to teach about new forms of communication and transportation that developed during the 1800's (google classroom compatible)
- Oregon Trail Simulation Game
- Link & Think" Digital Learning Guide on the California Gold Rush- The guide is an interactive PDF OR Google Slides file with clickable links throughout the file for students to explore the journeys in a fun way. Students learn about how gold was discovered, life of a 49-er, boom towns and ghost towns, people involved in the Gold Rush, and more! Students complete a flipbook to go along with the Link & Think (google classroom compatible)
- End-of-Unit Choice Board With Activity Sheets to help students review important concepts from the unit
- End-of-Unit Whole Class Book on Westward Expansion to help students review important concepts from the unit
- Formal Unit Assessment (google classroom compatible)
Take a look at the extensive sample to get a sneak peek of the unit! Let me know if you have any questions! Thanks!!
You may also like:
Native American Unit
Early European Explorers
Colonial America Unit
The American Revolutionary War
Civil War and Reconstruction
Purchase 3 or more units and save up to 20% by using one of my "Design Your Own Bundles" options! See details below:
Design Your Own Bundle: PICK 3
Design Your Own Bundle: PICK 4
Design Your Own Bundle: PICK 5