Get all 13 volumes of Primary Sources and Songs to enhance your Westward Movement Unit at a money-saving price. Bundle Pack includes lesson plans, activities, printables and recordings of Primary Source narratives and 31 Primary Source songs. Units covered:
Across the Appalachians
Settling the Rivers
The Louisiana Purchase
The Trail of Tears
Texas and the Mexican War
The Oregon Trail
The California Gold Rush
Settling on the Plains
Logging and Lumberjacks
Building the Railroads
Cattle Ranching and Cowboys
From Sea to Shining Sea
Each unit contains:
1. An introduction to the historical event
2. Student lesson guide to map known and need-to-know information
3. An excerpted primary source comment on the event
4. An orchestrated song from the period with printed lyric
5. “In Your Own Words” comprehension check
6. Vocabulary worksheet—to increase historical vocabulary
7. Answer key—for vocabulary study
8. Mapping assignment—to place event in geographic context
9. Timeline Information—to place event in historical context
10. Non-fiction/fiction reading suggestions tied to the lesson
11. Suggestions for discussion, presentation, reports, projects, etc.
Listed Common Core Standards that the unit addressesPrimary Sources and Songs meets Common Core Standards in U.S. History through engaging first person accounts of major historical events coupled with an authentically orchestrated song of the period.
Using short excerpts from letters, journal entries, newspaper accounts or other primary sources, Primary Sources and Songs brings each topic to life for the study of American History in the fourth through eighth grades. These short excerpts are especially beneficial to ESL students, reluctant readers, special ed students and students just learning to use primary source materials. By choosing from the menu of activities, teachers can cover the lesson in as little as an afternoon or delve in and create an extended unit.
Songs can easily be dramatized and used for presentations and performances. A recording with orchestration only is included for performances.
Songs included are:
Cumberland Gap, The Lovely Ohio, To the West, Shenandoah, Cielito Lindo, Remember the Alamo, Sweet Betsy from Pike, Oh, California, A Chinese-American Doodle, Starving to Death on a Government Claim, The Jam on Gerry's Rock, Drill Ye Tarriers Drill, The Little Bighorn, The Old Chisholm Trail and America the Beautiful.
Please take a tour of our store, Music to the Core, for additional engaging and powerful learning materials and don't forget to tell your friends and co-workers.
FOLLOW ME - FREE monthly Seasonal Songs