The need to help other living animals is introduced through the story Dear Mr. Blueberry by Simon James. Whales are studied in depth and incorporated across the curriculum. The following materials are in this packet.
- 3 pages of whale facts
- Fill In The Blank
- Math Facts The empty whales should be filled with math facts that are currently being studied.
- True or False
- Word Cards These are great for vocabulary review, spelling, and brainstorming activities.
- Fill In The Sentence
- Writing activity Students can write their own story or "Whale of a Tale"
- Letter to parents
- Aquarium directions A step by step guide.
- List of other endangered animals. Children are asked to pick one from the list and write about it.
Building the aquarium and having the children take home their very own whale is a fabulous culminating activity. They will be thrilled with it but more importantly they will discover how important it is to help others. They will learn to be compassionate, caring and responsible. This is the first of a series of lessons designed to help children navigate the challenges that lie ahead.