“What Do You Do With a Problem?” is a beautiful companion read-aloud to “What Do You Do With An Idea?” by author Kobi Yamada and illustrator Mae Besom. In this book, children learn that a problem presents opportunities to learn, grow, be strong, and make a difference.
Our Common-Core aligned Text-Dependent Questions help you model returning to the text for answers, and our Close Reading worksheet includes page numbers to help young readers cite text evidence. The culminating activity for this lesson is to reflect upon the story and write a personal narrative about solving a problem. An answer key and sample paragraph are included.
Included in this product:
• Text-Dependent Question card
• Close Reading worksheet and answer key
• Personal Narrative Writing Assignment
The Text-Dependent Questions…
• Address multiple Common Core State Standards (CCSS RL 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, and 9)
• Include pair-sharing prompts
• Help you model close reading
• Provide correct answers for teacher reference
The Close Reading Worksheet…
• Flows naturally from your class discussion
• Includes page numbers to teach students to refer to the text for answers
• Includes handwriting guidelines to help young learners with penmanship
• Answer key included for teacher reference
• Answer key may be used for handwriting practice or for modified work for students requiring maximum support.
The Narrative Writing Assignment…
• Allows students to reflect upon the story and write about how they solved a problem of their own (CCSS W3-Narrative Writing)