**** This resource is for Interactive Notebooks or File Folders
. If you would prefer more traditional resources, check out the “What is Your Life’s Blueprint?” close reading and analysis unit HERE.
You and your students will absolutely LOVE this close reading mini-unit for Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s
speech, “What is Your Life’s Blueprint?”
One of King’s most inspiring speeches, its content and message to be the very best person you can be is perfect for students.
This resource is designed for 2-3 days of engaging, rigorous, and motivational instruction. Students will be assembling Interactive Notebooks or File Folders
as they analyze the speech. The resource begins with a building background jigsaw activity as students become experts on segregation, Jim Crow Laws, The Montgomery Bus Boycott, and the Civil Rights Movement. Students develop greater context for the speech by reading about and completing a timeline on Martin Luther King, Jr.’s life. Then, students dive deep into the analysis of the speech as they interact with and investigate the speech four different times and ways. Their close readings enable them to react to the text, connect with the speech, analyze the speech, and personally reflect on King’s message. The end result is a celebration of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s legacy and work, an understanding of the society that fueled the Civil Rights Movement, and development of critical reading, writing, and analyzing skills.
In this mini-unit students will complete a collection of graphic organizers that they will assemble in an interactive notebook or file folder. The notebook or file folder and the interactive shapes serve as a fantastic hands-on educational tool. Students interact with their learning as they create the notebook or file folder and review the finished product.
The design of the interactive notebook or file folder serves many purposes:
• The notebook or file folder serves as a reference for students to use as they complete the literature study. It’s filled with 3-D representations of the unit’s instruction.
• The interactive learning materials provide a fun, hands-on approach to learning that taps into multiple learning styles.
• Creating an interactive notebook or file folder is motivating and empowering for all students.
• Interactive notebooks and file folders create a visual representation of the key concepts covered in the unit.
• Oh, and most importantly…they make learning fun!
This detailed unit includes:
• Detailed Lesson Plans (5)
• Lots of images to help assemble the file folders
• Visual Representation of the final Interactive File Folder
• Nonfiction Reading Passages for Building Background
• Biographical Article about Martin Luther King, Jr.
• Speech - “What is Your Life’s Blueprint?”
• Interactive Notebook Resources
---- Speech Title
---- Building Background
---- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Timeline Slider
---- Critical Vocabulary
---- Flip Book including - Reactions, Connection, Analysis, Reflection
• All Instructional Keys
During this unit, students will...
• Read and comprehend literary nonfiction
• Cite textual evidence to support analysis
• Determine the central idea of a text
• Determine the meaning of words as they are used in a text
• Analyze how particular elements of the text contribute to the overall meaning of the work
• Determine the speaker’s point of view
• Delineate a speaker’s argument and specific claims
CCSS addressed in this resource:
• RI.1, RI.2, RI.4, RI.5, RI.6, RI.10
• SL.1, SL.3
• L.4, L.6
Ready to take this unit to a whole new level? Just pair it with this interactive study of Martin Luther King, Jr.!
You may also like…
Test Prep Bundle -
Answering Multiple Choice Questions, Responding to Short Answer Questions, and Motivational Test Prep
Interactive Poetry Lessons and Activities
Reading Comprehension Skills - MEGA BUNDLE!
Following is Fun!
Get the inside scoop on all store discounts, free products, and product launches. Just click the green “Follow Me” star under my store name on this page or click the green “Follow Me” star on my store homepage.
*** Click HERE
to receive the Brain Waves Instruction Newsletter
filled with exclusive FREEBIES and Teaching Tips!
*** Click HERE
to become a seller on TpT
(Referral by Brain Waves Instruction)
Brain Waves Instruction