This resource was created for students to dig even deeper into historical events with their "What Was..." books. This book companion fits perfectly on the Target Dollar Spot Blank Books, or they can be cut and stapled together instead. Use in reading stations, whole/small group, tutoring, as a research project, or even as a lesson extension. I hope you find this resource more than useful in your classroom!
-2 cover pages
-16 book companion pages (brief descriptions below)
- Level-Beginner: This page is based off of a KWL strategy and can be used
to assess student understanding of the topic prior to reading.
- Where is: Students will create a world map of the location of the event,
and they’ll create a zoomed in map view. When complete, it’ll become
a flap they can lift.
-Comic Strip: There are two options. Students will create a comic strip
timeline of major events that have occurred. You have the option to let
students create a comic strip for up to four or eight events.
- Cause & Effect: There are two options. Students can find three separate
examples of cause and effect, or students can find one major cause that had
- One-on-One: Students will generate questions they would ask someone
who witnessed the actual event.
- Rewrite History: This is a deeper questions for students to really think
about. They will explain one thing they would change about the historical
- #Connected: As students make text connections they can record them.
- Snapshot: In the lens of the camera students will illustrate a snapshot
they would’ve taken.
-Journal Entry: They will write a journal entry from the perspective of
someone who witnessed or experienced the event.
-Hashtag Scramble: Important words and dates can be hashtagged.
-#Incredible: Any facts that students find interesting or incredible can go
-Must Read: Students will write a book review persuading readers to choose
their particular book in the NY Times best selling series. They’ll also search
for text features that enhance their book.
-Level-Expert: As they finish their books they become experts on the topic.
This page allows them to reflect on what they read.
-1 page with lines for writing as needed
-Lesson Extension Ideas: I included two extension ideas with and without technology.
-Move Poster Template: Use with one of the lesson extension ideas.
---> You may also like:
Who Was Book Companion
I Survived Book Companion