Use The Simpsons to bring alive the history of prohibition, and put the writers' interpretation to the test.
NB: This lesson requires a copy of The Simpsons episode 'Homer vs. the Eighteenth Amendment', and some GCSE/High School textbooks which include the history of prohibition.
1. Slide 2: Engaging image – can students work out what is happening
2. Use slides 3-4 to briefly teach students about the reasons for prohibition
3. Show Homer vs the Eighteenth Amendment. Students identify key scenes by ticking the appropriate box on the worksheet
4. Use textbooks to find out the reality behind The Simpsons episode
5. Plenary (Slide 7): Students talk for 30 seconds about the real history behind four important scenes from The Simpsons