This enquiry is designed as an introduction to the GCSE USA 1919-41 unit, in order to give students a broad overview of American history before the 1920s. It requires students to consider historical significance criteria, and construct a timeline of American history.
1. Slide 2: images of the objects from the ‘mystery box’. What links them? The answer is American history before 1920. Can students explain each picture
2. Slide 3: introduce enquiry question and objectives
3. Side 4: Post-it Challenge to see what students already know/want to know about American history
4. Slide 5: find friends. Give each student a large A3 sheet. It will be either a time period, an image, or information. Their job is to find each other.
5. Return to small groups (2/3) and match the smaller version of the American history cards. Place cards into chronological order (check using slides 6-14)
6. Introduce the four ‘significance criteria’ (slide 17) and get students to move cards up and down to demonstrate how significant each period of American history was.
7. Conclude with a decision/justification (written or verbal). Students could complete their own copy of American history graph to show how significant each period was.