Did you learn about Juneteenth in school? I didn't. This resource is the culmination of extensive research about the holiday's history, which I have summarized here in a student-friendly writing style. This resource includes historical photos, along with vocabulary to help students understand the terms associated with the celebration.
This resource covers:
- A very brief history of slavery in the United States
- An explanation of General Order No. 3, the order that delivered the news of the Emancipation Proclamation to slaves in Texas
- Early Juneteenth celebrations, including the struggle to find places to celebrate
- Juneteenth celebrations today
Download this resource today for FREE! And while you're at it, please consider donating the money you would have spent on this resource to one of the following organizations:
- Black Lives Matter
- Victim Memorial Funds
- National Bail Fund Network
- Community Restoration Organizations
- Community Enrichment Organizations
- Check out this article to find lists of other organizations to support, including organizations for youth of color, disabled BIPOC, policy reform, and more!
- Continue to support your local Black-owned businesses!
Like this resource? Follow my store! I'm working on a series of multicultural holiday articles just like this one. You'll be the first to know when new articles are released.