GLOBAL 9, UNIT 3
THE MIDDLE AGES
: What is feudalism? How did feudalism affect life in Western Europe?
- ACTIVITY 1 — DO NOW: Students will complete a See-Think-Wonder activity where they identify what they see in an image, make inferences about it, and then create two questions about it to generate discussion.
- ACTIVITY 2 — DOCUMENT ANALYSIS: Students will analyze a document from the 2006 NYS Regents exam depicting a Feudal Manor, along with a text identifying key terms.
- KEY TERMS ANALYZED: MANORIALISM, FEUDAL SYSTEM, FEUDALISM.
- ACTIVITY 3 -- VIDEO: Students will analyze a video about feudalism as a visual aide and answer questions. Includes a self-created image of the feudal structure. Link to YouTube video is provided.
- ACTIVITY 4 -- PRIMARY SOURCE ANALYSIS: Students will analyze a contemporary excerpt from a poem by Bertran de born (1140-1214 CE) — annotated by me — and answer the questions to assess the social hierarchy of medieval Europe.
- ACTIVITY 5 -- ASSESSMENT: Students will choose one of two options for assessment to submit on looseleaf.
- PowerPoint included with key terms. Counts as differentiation for visual learners with broken down definitions for students (or emerging ENL students) that need the extra reinforcement.
- Document Analysis: Students may analyze the Knight’s Code of Chivalry, which is not a contemporary source but is based on the unwritten code that knights were expected to follow as members of feudal Europe. Teacher may substitute this in place of the video in Activity 3, also.
- Page for Guided Notes
- Differentiation for ENL students.
- Differentiation for Special Ed. students.
- ADDITIONAL ASSESSMENT: Students may answer the AIM using the R.A.C.E.S. format (FREE Download Here).