Here are six printables for your classroom for student replies instead of hearing, “I don’t know”.
1) What to say instead of “I don’t know”
2) May I please have some time to think?
3) Would you please repeat the question?
4) May I please have some more information?
5) Where could I find more information about that?
6) May I ask a friend for help?
I printed these out on colored paper, laminated them, and posted on my bulletin board. These are very important to reference on the first day with your classroom procedures. When a student says “I don’t know”, my students point to the bulletin board and help the student respond appropriately.
Stout Math World