What’s the Difference?
A Scavenger Hunt for Mathematicians
Common Core CC Aligned 1.OA.6
*Before giving students this activity, they should be familiar with at least one strategy for finding the difference between two numbers. See my “Addition and Subtraction Strategies Posters” product in TPT for ideas! Click here to see it!
1. Decide which version of the student booklet your students will use. Print and copy.
2. Decide the level of difficulty for your class and/or individual students… Are all students going to try all cards? Are you going to assign some students some cards and not others? Maybe color code them--- students know they only find the “red cards” or whatever works for your group. Print, cut, and hide the follpwing scaveger hunt cards around your classroom.
3. Share the sample with students. Review strategies for finding the difference.
4. Assign students their own “number” they will use to find the difference with each scavenger hunt card. The first time my class did this, they used blocks. The next time, I gave them each a sticky note indicating their number.
5. Go! Students can explore finding the difference alone or in partnerships. You can repeat this activity again and again changing the level of difficulty.