This book companion pack was designed to accompany, "When The Leaf Blew In" by Steve Metzger. The companion activities target sequencing/retelling, WH questions, noun and verb vocabulary relating to the story, object functions, categories, associations/go togethers, and describing. Several no prep activities are included, as well! Newly updated on 10/7/18!
Here's all the goodies you get with this download:
- Cariboo comprehension cards: Use these to work on answering questions from the story. Two sets of WH question cards (“draw pile”), two sets of picture depictions of answer cards that go on the Cariboo grid. If you don’t have Cariboo, use these cards in a sensory bin!
- Cut/Color/Glue Story Sequence: no prep, black/white. Cut out pictures, color, and glue them on, according to the order they appeared in the story. Use these visuals to help retell the story.
- 3 Playdough smash mats: 1 mat to target characters from the story (labeling animals), 1 mat for verbs from the story (great way to work on new verbs, or past tense verbs), and 1 mat for working on labeling pictures with two word phrases.
- Story characters/places/object printables for a sensory bin. Use these cards in a sensory bin to work on answering questions (ie you ask a question, your student pulls out the picture that answers the question) or for following directions (“Take out an animal that’s behind the cow” “Take out the animal next to the chicken” etc…)
- Raking Categories: Attach the printable leaf bag to a container and cut out the white rectangle. Attach category rakes to a magnet/Chipper Chat wand and place paperclips on the leaf pictures. Use the "rake" to pick up pictures from the right category, then slide them into the leaf bag.
- Leaf/Tree Go-Togethers: Play Memory, with one row of leaves and one row of trees. Flip over one item from each row and see if they go together. If they do, describe how they go together, and keep the match. I typically place about 5 in each row. OR, place the leaf cards in a sensory bin and have the trees out on the table. Pull out a leaf, find the tree it goes with, and describe how the two items are alike/go together.
- Big/little animals and big/little leaves sorting mats (black and white, cut/paste, no prep versions included, as well!)
- Describing Tree: Pair with any stimulus cards to work on describing items. When a student picks a picture to describe, see how many attributes they can use to describe the item (category, function, parts, etc…). They can place the same number of leaves on their tree as the number of descriptors they can give.
- Leaf blowing object functions: NO PREP; Choose an leaf, describe the function of the object, and color.
- NO PREP Tree and Leaf Associations/Go Togethers: cut out and sort the leaf cards (separate page) to the correct tree based on which items go together/are alike. Glue the leaves next to the corresponding trees, talk about how the two pictured items are alike/go together, and color the trees and leaves when you’re done!
What others are saying about this companion:
"This product is very comprehensive and allowed me to work on all of my varying student's goals!"
"This was such a hit with my preschool speech/language students in the fall. They love sequencing the manipulates and sorting big/little."
"Fun and cute activities! I also used the pictures glued on different colored leaves for Search and Find using prepositions. (i.e., What did you fine? I found the pig. Where is your pig? On the table.) Thanks!"
Note: This is a .zip file with both old and new versions of this companion pack present in the download. The old version is for those who purchased prior to the update on 10/7/18, who may still want some of the old activities.