When two vowels go walking, the first one does the talking! Double vowels or "vowel teams" are very tricky! This unit provides a variety of printable, hands-on, engaging word work activities for the vowel teams ai, ee, ea, and oa. These activities are ideal for center work, literacy stations, independent work, whole or small group reading instruction!
This unit is print-and-go and will save you lots of time!
Here is what is included:
• Short and Long Vowel Sort: Read and sort short and long vowel CVVC words
• Double Vowel Words: Read, Trace, and Rainbow Write the CVVC words
• Build a Word: Cut and paste letters to build CVVC words.
• I Can Spell Double Vowel Words: Use picture to spell CVVC word 2 times
• CVVC Word Families: 2 word family houses on each page, 3 pages. Students brainstorm or build words (provide letter magnets or manipulatives) with the given word families and record on the sheets.
• Double Vowel Mix It, Fix It (2 versions): Unscramble the word, write it correctly in pencil and then in rainbow colors. I recommend providing letter magnets to help students build the words. The first page contains CVVC words, the second contains CCVVC words (blends and digraphs).
• Draw It: Double Vowels! Read the sentences containing double vowel words. Draw a picture to match the sentence.
• Highlight a Double Vowel Word: Read, highlight, and write double vowel words.
• Double Vowel Words Book: Read, trace, write, draw a picture, and write a sentence containing the Double Vowel word.
• Double Vowel Decodable Story: Read the story containing decodable CVVC words, short vowel words, and common sight words. Highlight and record words.
• Double Vowel Decodable Story: Read the story containing CVVC words and answer comprehension questions by writing complete sentences.
• Two Vowels Walking Sort: Read and sort ai, ee, ea, and oa words.
• Long Vowel Picture Sort: Sort pictures containing double vowel long vowel words and “magic e” long vowel words (CVVC and CVCe). Be sure to use this activity after students have learned CVCe “magic e” words.
I hope your students enjoy these activities! Please check out my other word work units!
Long Vowels Bundle: Phonics/Word Work
Short Vowels Bundle: Phonics/Word Work
Digraph Bundle: Ch, Sh, Th
Magic E: CVCe Phonics/Word Work Activities
Wacky Y Word Work
Ouch! Literacy Activities for the Ou/Ow Sound
Thank you! :)