This game is intended to be used to review all of the important places in history from the Civil War to the present. The places listed are specific to the Georgia Performance Standards key places for 5th grade and is a great review for the CRCT. There is an extra page of blank playing cards in case you have more places you would like to add.
1. Cut apart each of the cards of places so that they are like playing cards.
2. Shuffle the cards and turn them upside down in a pile.
3. Separate your class into teams (however many you would like – I prefer 2, but you can do more)
4. Choose a player from the first group to come up and read the clues to their team. They finish with, “Where am I?” and their team must guess the answer. If someone from their team guesses correctly, that team gets 2 points. If they are wrong, the next team up has a chance to get 1 point if they answer correctly. If they get it correct, they still get their turn next. If they were incorrect when trying to earn the point, the next group in order (if there is more than 2 teams) will get their chance to get a point.
5. Continue playing in this way until you have completed all of the cards. Whichever team has the most points at the end, wins.
Places included: Fort Sumter, SC; Gettysburg, PA; Harper’s Ferry, VA; Atlanta, GA; Appomattox Court House, VA; Chisholm Trail; Panama Canal; Versailles; Kitty Hawk, NC; Pearl Harbor, HI; Iwo Jima; Hiroshima and Nagasaki; Montgomery, AL; Grand Canyon; Salton Sea; Great Salt Lake; Mojave Desert; Pittsburgh, PA; Berlin;
Check out my other Social Studies review games:
Who Am I? Important People in History Game
What Am I? Important Things/Events in History Game