Here is everything you need for a mini unit on Joyce Carol Oates' short story, "Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been?" I've also attached a film review essay task and essay organizer if you would like to pair it with the film version of the short story, Smooth Talk, starring Laura Dern.
This 12 page download includes:
- A critical casebook handout that discusses the various literary interpretations of the short story, including topics for discussion.
- 15 analysis questions to help students think about characterization, theme, setting, symbolism, as well as make text to self and text to world connections.
- Film review essay task with specific assignment details and expectations.
- Film review essay organizer.
- Joyce Carol Oates' New York Times review of the film Smooth Talk to help aid discussion during and after the film (the review is also helpful to use as a springboard to discuss the origins of this short story.)
- Lyrics to Bob Dylan's "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue." (The short story is dedicated to Bob Dylan and the lyrics, which have a strong connection to the plot, can be used for further critical analysis)