This 18-page document is intended for multiple days (around 5). It is interactive, engaging, and integrates both reading comprehension and writing - and also allows students to get to know one another! The document includes the following:
1) a detailed (and somewhat humorous) introduction to the poem "Where I'm From" by George Ella Lyon
2) a detailed lesson for when you read the poem aloud together - including handouts and overheads and mini-activities to keep the students engaged, including a brief 25,000 Pyramid Game ï£¨.
3) a detailed lesson on how to start brainstorming and writing a personal "Where I'm From" poem, with graphic organizers
4) a detailed lesson/handout/worksheet on how to make the students' writing more specific (to be executed after a rough draft poem has been written, for example)
5) a rubric for grading the poem
This document is in pdf format, but please email me if you would like it in Word to edit.