This bundle includes ALL you need to teach the entire novel cover to cover with engaging discussion, games, writing, vocabulary, and more. Take your students on Minli’s journey to see the Old Man of the Moon and explore life’s true bests along the way. Designed to support a student-centered classroom, this unit is aligned to CCSS and offers student and teacher choices. Step-by-step lesson plans provide a lesson introduction that connects to previous and future lessons as well as an exit ticket for a quick and engaging formative assessment while doubling as standardized test prep.
The user-friendly set up has a table of contents for the unit, lesson overviews, and weekly table of contents including materials lists (of simple easy-to-access supplies) and outline of materials for running copies.
This bundle includes:
Preparing for the Unit
- Moon Journal – Students use picture cards of important items found throughout the novel. They predict and explain that value of each item as the adventure unfolds. There are 3 options on how to create the Moon Journal for your students or allow them to choose!
- Novel Notebooks – Use stapled paper, notebooks, folders, or whatever materials you have for students to collect unit materials. All materials can be glued into a notebook, hole-punched, or pocketed.
- Vocabulary – Two vocabulary words are selected for each day. Colorful vocabulary cards included as well as 2 choices for students in how to define using context clues. Answers and text clues are included in the daily plans.
- Strategies & Activities – Read through all the activities and strategies that will be used for discussion and comprehension activities to plan ahead.
Teaching the Novel
- 13 days of step-by-step lesson plans bursting with activities keep discussions alive, little hands writing creatively, and little bodies busy while staying aligned to current expectations of rigor and CCSS.
- Standards correlation for grades 4 and 5 which can be easily adapted to grades 3-8 as well.
- Printables for writing and game play, interactive notebook pieces, and games provide a variety of learning activities.
- Each day is structured in the same format for easy implementation. Use every activity every day or choose which ones your kiddos need the most! (Moon Journal, Introduce Vocabulary, Read & Discuss, Define Vocabulary using context clues, Figurative Language, Comprehension Game, Writing, Task Card in Part A/Part B format)
Culminating Activities All included in this bundle!
- With six activities available, finish your novel with a bang! Choose from Chapter Walk Retell, Class Jeopardy, Green Tiger Tag, Greedy Monkeys Game, and Theme Posters.
- 4th Grade Task Cards
- 5th Grade Task Cards
- Jeopardy PowerPoint