NOTE: This product is meant to be used after students have read the book.
Every clue in this crossword is related to an event, character, or detail in or about the book. Challenges students' reading-for-detail skills in a fun way! Good objective review or competition activity!
Examples of clues:
* Bad luck bringers ANSWER: owls
* Mrs. Colman’s heritage ANSWER: Cherokee
* Sloppy Ann ANSWER: hog
* ___ cat ANSWER: civet
* Animal left behind on the farm ANSWER: Samie
* Compete Billy’s song: You can swim the river...And play your ___ out one by one ANSWER: trick
Here are my unique products over WHERE THE RED FERN GROWS. View them all in my store!
• Bookmarks Plus: WHERE THE RED FERN GROWS—A Handy Little Reading Aid! Helps students keep track of characters and provides definitions for new words—and so much more! Students and teachers alike are delighted with these handy reading aids!
• WHERE THE RED FERN GROWS Trivia Game—Fun for the Whole Class! ThemeQuotes games are the only games that link famous, value-promoting quotations to the themes of the books you teach! Students work in teams to play this cross between Wheel of Fortune™ and Trivia Pursuit™ game! 128 questions!
• WHERE THE RED FERN GROWS: 50-word Prereading Vocabulary Crossword--Fun! Helps prepare students for reading the book! Use with the Where the Red Fern Grows edition of Bookmarks Plus and the Where the Red Fern Grows Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words!
• WHERE THE RED FERN GROWS: Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword Use with Bookmarks Plus and the 50-word Prereading Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words! A unique crossword!
• WHERE THE RED FERN GROWS: 4 Novel-Based Word Searches—4 Different Categories! Categories: Ozark Features; The Fisherman’s Camp; Good Eats; Billy’s Trip to Tahlequah
• WHERE THE RED FERN GROWS: 6 Cryptocategory Word Puzzles—Unique! Students decode lists of categorized words from the book! Categories: Names and Minor Characters; Locations; Ozark Animals; Grandpa; The Hunting Competition; The Ozarks;
• WHERE THE RED FERN GROWS: 10 Quotefall Word Puzzles—Unique! Each quotefall is a quotation from the story. Students form individual words of the quotation by transferring letters from above the double line of the puzzle grid to squares in the columns directly below. Quotefalls can be challenging, but students love working them—and they’re great spelling workouts!
• WHERE THE RED FERN GROWS: Analogy Crossword—48 Clues--Clever! Challenging, but good practice for a valuable skill
• WHERE THE RED FERN GROWS: 12 Cryptograms--Quotes About Dogs! Students decode quotations from the story! Each cryptogram puzzle has its own code. Who doesn’t love a code?
• WHERE THE RED FERN GROWS: 5 Fractured Maxim Puzzles Based on the Book! Students rearrange “tiles” to form quotations from the book. Requires students to use their knowledge of the story as well as their knowledge of theme, spelling, phonics, vocabulary, and language!
• WHERE THE RED FERN GROWS: 5 Fill-In Word Puzzles—A Good Trial and Error Exercise! Students enter common words from the story into the puzzle grid, based on the number of letters in the word. The puzzle can be challenging, but each time students enter a correct answer, they are provided with clues for the next.
• WHERE THE RED FERN GROWS: Anagram Crossword Puzzle—Challenging! Students decipher common terms from the novel! The puzzle can be challenging, but, as with all crosswords, almost every time they enter a correct answer, they are provided with clues for the next.
• WHERE THE RED FERN GROWS: Reading-for-Detail Crossword—Novel-Based! A great way to check students’ reading skills!
• WHERE THE RED FERN GROWS: 10 Word Merges—One “Word” Becomes Two! Two-word phrases from the story are blended into one “word.” Students decipher the phrases. Harder than it sounds, but a good spelling workout!
• WHERE THE RED FERN GROWS: Vocabulary Crossword—Fun! Students provide synonyms for challenging words from the story. Good extra credit activity!
• WHERE THE RED FERN GROWS: Homophone Crossword—One of a Kind! Students provide homophones from the book for this crossword by referring to the numbers in parentheses after each clue. For example, the number after 8 Across “A type of shellfish” is (10D). The number after 10 Down “A strong body part” is (8A). This means that 8 Across and 10 Down are homophones. The answer to 8 Across is mussel, and the answer to 10 Down is muscle—homophones! Students can use one homophone to help solve the other!
• WHERE THE RED FERN GROWS: 12 Theme-Related Quotations + Teaching Ideas Well-researched, thought-provoking quotations by some of history’s greatest thinkers—each quotation relates to a theme in the book!
Word-Wise Language Arts Resources
—100s of unique products over most-taught literature!
Fun Teaching~Fun Learning!