Where the Red Fern Grows - Novel Unit will instantly engage your students with beautifully-designed activities that allow for deeper thinking! Students analyze the text on chapter-by-chapter Response Pages, complete a fun Web Quest, and express themselves with journal-style Free-Writes. Specific standards-aligned skills are addressed throughout the unit, and a full answer key is included.
This Product Contains:
1. PRE-READING WEB QUEST – Students access background information on topics related to the novel on this two-page Web Quest, which includes five engaging websites with questions for each.
2. CHAPTER-BY-CHAPTER STUDENT RESPONSE PAGES—Each page presents a variety of prompts regarding specific characters, settings, events, significant quotations, etc. Students cite text-based evidence to analyze what the text says, make inferences, analyze figurative language, dialogue, author’s word choice, themes, and characters’ point of view. Students enjoy some discussion around the topics on these response pages with a partner or in small groups. A great tool for getting kids to talk about the book but also be responsible for their own comprehension and thoughtful, text-based response.
3. RED FERN FREE-WRITES - 20 Journal-style writing prompts on attractive projectable slides (one for every chapter) and a Free-Writes Log for student responses. Great discussion starters!
4. VOCABULARY – Eight pages focus on 40 words from the novel (divided into four two-sided handouts, five words per side). Students study the given definitions, fit words correctly into sentences that are provided, and choose some words to illustrate meanings.
5. VOCABULARY QUIZZES – Four Vocabulary quizzes focus on ten words per quiz (as divided on the study handouts).
6. FIGURATIVE LANGUAGE SCAVENGER HUNT - Students find examples of simile, metaphor, personification, and hyperbole, and analyze figurative meanings (works well with a partner).
7. FIGURATIVE LANGUAGE AND MEANING - Students are given examples of figurative language and must decide which type and then analyze. (Created as an option for teachers who are not using the Perma-Bound version of the book and therefore would not be able to use the Figurative Language Scavenger Hunt)
8. DETERMINING THEMES IN THE NOVEL – This page leads the students to determine two main themes after examining some of the main character’s experiences involving several “theme topics.”
9. TYPES OF CONFLICT CHART– Students determine one conflict for each type: Man vs. Man, Nature, Society, and Self, and explain how each conflict is resolved.
10. RED FERN WRITING TOPICS – End-of-novel writing assignment offers 3 choices (for differentiation) and requires one full typed page with visuals. Includes a PRE-WRITING ORGANIZER for each topic choice and an optional WRITING RUBRIC for grading. This is a writing process piece that students enjoy and results are display-worthy!
11. TWO TESTS - A 20-question test based on Chapters 1-9 and a 20-question test based on Chapters 10-end
12. FULL ANSWER KEY
12. Teacher Guide and Common Core Standards
Common Core Literacy Skills students will practice:
--Citing text-based details to analyze what the text says regarding
characters, setting, and events
--Analyzing the development of theme
--Analyzing specific lines of dialogue
--Determining the meanings of new words; connotation
--Analyzing figurative language
--Author's tone; Mood
--Providing a summary of text
--Conducting short research
--Compare/contrast a written story to its filmed version
--Write routinely over shorter time frames
Please open the PREVIEW Pages to get an idea of the quality of my product. If you teach Where the Red Fern Grows, this resource is definitely something student-friendly and complete in its scope to keep them engaged as they read.
Thank you! -- Joy Sexton
You might also like:
Character Traits Essay – Informative Writing
Figurative Language Stations - Common Core
Literature Stations with Task Cards for ANY Novel Drama or Story - Common Core
---Yes! Join my list to receive Teaching Tips, New Product Updates, and FREEBIES from Joy