The many editions of BOOKMARKS PLUS provide students with essential knowledge of the book: title, author info, publication date, genre, story premise, descriptions of main characters, and setting. Each edition also contains a "Words to Know" section, which students can refer to as they come across difficult words. Some even feature a list of words, along with their definitions, that are specific to the setting.
BOOKMARKS PLUS come 5 to a page, front to back, so you can print as many as you like for as long as you like with only a minimal initial investment! The bookmarks are also provided in both a color version and a black and white version.
DOWNLOAD THE PREVIEW FILE AND RECEIVE A FREE EDITION OF BOOKMARKS PLUS!
Also, the same 25 words are part of my WHERE THE RED FERN GROWS Prereading Crossword Puzzle, which familiarizes students with 50 challenging words before they read. See list of products below.
In addition, I have created two more crosswords over the book. Both focus on synonyms and antonyms of the 25 Words to Know.
Crossword #1 provides students with the sentence that contains the word and indicates whether each clue requires a synonym or antonym answer. See list of products below.
Crossword #2 is a synonym/antonym analogy crossword over the same words; however, the words that required synonyms in puzzle #1 require antonyms in the analogy puzzle and vice versa. See list of products below.
USE ALL FOUR PRODUCTS TO REINFORCE MEANING!
ELEMENTARY EDITIONS OF BOOKMARKS PLUS
* A Day No Pigs Would Die
* The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
* Because of Winn Dixie
* Bridge to Terabithia
* Bud, Not Buddy
* The Cay
* The Confessions of Charlotte Doyle
* Dead End in Norvelt
* The Devil’s Arithmetic
* The Egypt Game
* Esperanza Rising
* Found, Book 1: The Missing
* Freak the Mighty
* In the Year of the Boar and Jackie Robinson
* Island of the Blue Dolphins
* Jacob Have I Loved
* Julie of the Wolves
* Lupita Manana
* Maniac Magee
* The Midwife’s Apprentice
* Missing May
* Moon Over Manifest
* The Night Tourist
* Number the Stars
* One Crazy Summer
* The Pinballs
* Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry
* Running Out of Time
* Sarah, Plain and Tall
* Shakespeare’s Secret
* Shooting the Moon
* The Sign of the Beaver
* Sing Down the Moon
* A Single Shard
* Summer of the Monkeys
* The Summer of the Swans
* The Tale of Despereaux
* Tuck Everlasting
* The Watsons Go to Birmingham—1963
* When You Reach Me
* When Zachary Beaver Came to Town
* Where the Red Fern Grows
* The Whipping Boy
* A Wrinkle in Time
Don't see a bookmark for your favorite title? Contact me through TPT, and I’ll create one for you!
Here are my unique products over WHERE THE RED FERN GROWS. View all 17 in my store!
• Bookmarks Plus: WHERE THE RED FERN GROWS—A Handy Little Reading Aid! Helps students keep track of characters and provides definitions for new words—and so much more! Students and teachers alike are delighted with these handy reading aids!
• WHERE THE RED FERN GROWS Trivia Game—Fun for the Whole Class! ThemeQuotes games are the only games that link famous, value-promoting quotations to the themes of the books you teach! Students work in teams to play this cross between Wheel of Fortune™ and Trivia Pursuit™ game! 128 questions!
• WHERE THE RED FERN GROWS: 50-word Prereading Vocabulary Crossword--Fun! Helps prepare students for reading the book! Use with the Where the Red Fern Grows edition of Bookmarks Plus and the Where the Red Fern Grows Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words!
• WHERE THE RED FERN GROWS: Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword Use with Bookmarks Plus and the 50-word Prereading Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words! A unique crossword!
• WHERE THE RED FERN GROWS: 4 Novel-Based Word Searches—4 Different Categories! Categories: Ozark Features; The Fisherman’s Camp; Good Eats; Billy’s Trip to Tahlequah
• WHERE THE RED FERN GROWS: 6 Cryptocategory Word Puzzles—Unique! Students decode lists of categorized words from the book! Categories: Names & Minor Characters; Locations; Ozark Animals; Grandpa; The Hunting Competition; The Ozarks
• WHERE THE RED FERN GROWS: 10 Quotefall Word Puzzles—Unique! Each quotefall is a quotation from the story. Students form individual words of the quotation by transferring letters from above the double line of the puzzle grid to squares in the columns directly below. Quotefalls can be challenging, but students love working them—and they’re great spelling workouts!
• WHERE THE RED FERN GROWS: Analogy Crossword—48 Clues--Clever! Challenging, but good practice for a valuable skill.
• WHERE THE RED FERN GROWS: 12 Cryptograms--Quotes About Dogs! Students decode quotations from the story! Each cryptogram puzzle has its own code. Who doesn’t love a code?
• WHERE THE RED FERN GROWS: 5 Fractured Maxim Puzzles Based on the Book! Students rearrange “tiles” to form quotations from the book. Requires students to use their knowledge of the story as well as their knowledge of theme, spelling, phonics, vocabulary, and language!
• WHERE THE RED FERN GROWS: 5 Fill-In Word Puzzles—A Good Trial and Error Exercise! Students enter common words from the story into the puzzle grid, based on the number of letters in the word. The puzzle can be challenging, but each time students enter a correct answer, they are provided with clues for the next.
• WHERE THE RED FERN GROWS: Anagram Crossword Puzzle—Challenging! Students decipher common terms from the novel! The puzzle can be challenging, but, as with all crosswords, almost every time they enter a correct answer, they are provided with clues for the next.
• WHERE THE RED FERN GROWS: Reading-for-Detail Crossword—Novel-Based! A great way to check students’ reading skills!
• WHERE THE RED FERN GROWS: 10 Word Merges—One “Word” Becomes Two! Two-word phrases from the story are blended into one “word.” Students decipher the phrases. Harder than it sounds, but a good spelling workout!
• WHERE THE RED FERN GROWS: Vocabulary Crossword—Fun! Students provide synonyms for challenging words from the story. Good extra credit activity!
• WHERE THE RED FERN GROWS: Homophone Crossword—One of a Kind! Students provide homophones from the book for this crossword by referring to the numbers in parentheses after each clue. For example, the number after 8 Across “A type of shellfish” is (10D). The number after 10 Down “A strong body part” is (8A). This means that 8 Across and 10 Down are homophones. The answer to 8 Across is mussel, and the answer to 10 Down is muscle—homophones! Students can use one homophone to help solve the other!
• WHERE THE RED FERN GROWS: 12 Theme-Related Quotations + Teaching Ideas Well-researched, thought-provoking quotations by some of history’s greatest thinkers—each quotation relates to a theme in the book!
Word-Wise Language Arts Resources
—100s of unique products over most-taught literature!
Fun Teaching~Fun Learning!