Where the Wild Things Retelling Pack
This is one of my favorite books to read with my students! It can be used any time of the year, but I especially love reading it in October.
This pack is intended to be used in conjunction with the book 'Where the Wild Things Are' by Maurice Sendak (not provided)
Here is what is included:
• Two Story Sequencing Options: The first is a retelling crown. Students cut and glue pictures to sequence the events of the story on a crown to wear. Glue onto a sentence strip or strips of construction paper to make longer, if needed. The second is a retelling sheet where students cut and glue the events of the story in order on the paper. I use individual small trays for students to keep their pieces together after cutting them out. To make finding pieces easier, you may want to hold up your own pieces from the class set. Encourage students to retell the story at home!
• Emergent Reader: A simpler version of the story to encourage retelling by young readers.
• Where the Wild Things Are Essential Questions: Students can circle or color the correct answer.
• Story Retelling Picture Cards: Print, laminate, and cut out. Give students a picture to hold during the story. When that student’s part is read he/she will hold up the picture. Print off two copies and play a memory type game. Also can be used with the cut and paste retelling activity to help little ones identify the picture needed.
• Retelling Necklaces/Puppets: Print on cardstock, laminate, and cut apart. Hole punch and string with yarn to make a necklace or attach a popsicle stick to the back for a puppet on a stick.
• Vocabulary Cards: Print on cardstock, laminate, and cut apart words or leave as a poster. Preview vocabulary from the story prior to reading and/or review vocabulary after reading the story. Place in writing center, pocket chart, or back with magnetic tape and use on magnetic board/cookie sheet. I have my students pick a card, write it down and draw a picture to illustrate the word.
Follow my store by clicking the green star and blog
to be notified when new products are posted!
New items are discounted 50% for the first 48 hours!