This is the third lesson plan in a series of five. The mini-unit builds students' skills in comedy analysis, especially in Act 1 of "Romeo and Juliet." It follows "Defining Comedy" and "Finding and fixing confusion."
- Watch a clip of the "Boondocks" and an M&Ms Super Bowl commercial; annotate mini-scripts of the text
- Apply vocabulary introduced in "Defining Comedy"
- Conduct a focused reading of Act 1, Scene 4, with a focus on Mercutio's "Queen Mab" speech
- Compare and contrast the characters of Riley, red M&M and Mercutio's use of comedic techniques
Instructors are equipped with
- Four versions of an Act 1 quiz
- Scripted commentary to guide engagement and critical thinking
- Printable scripts for "Riley on God" and "I'm Sexy and I Know It" (clips from warm-up)