Unit Description – This is a beginning of the school year unit that helps students review what the primary colors are and learn how the secondary colors are made.
First 1st grade
Checklist for assessment
Second 2nd grade
Art Integrated Lesson
Art Infused Lesson
SC Visual Arts Standards, 1st grade
Creating Works of Visual Art
Standard 1: The student will demonstrate competence in the use of ideas, materials, techniques, and processes in the creation of works of visual art.
VA1-1.1 Use his or her own ideas in the creation of works of visual art.
VA1-1.2 Identify and describe the materials, techniques, and processes used in a variety of works of visual art.
VA1-1.3 Use a variety of materials, techniques, and processes to create works of visual art.
VA1-1.4 Use all art materials and tools in a safe and responsible manner.
Using Structures and Functions
Standard 2: The student will use composition and the elements and principles of design to communicate ideas.
VA1-2.3 Select and use various elements and principles of design to communicate his or her ideas, feelings, and stories through works of visual art.
Interpreting Works of Visual Art
Standard 5: The student will analyze and assess the characteristics and qualities of his or her own works of visual art and those of others.
VA1-5.2 Describe and discuss the different qualities and characteristics of works of visual art.
Common Core English Language Arts Standards – Reading: Literature Grade 1
RL.1.1. Ask and answer questions about key details in a text.
RL.1.2. Retell stories, including key details, and demonstrate understanding of their central message or lesson.
RL.1.3. Describe characters, settings, and major events in a story, using key details.
ELA Standards – Speaking & Listening - Grade 1
SL.1.1. Participate in collaborative conversations with diverse partners about grade 1 topics and texts with peers and adults in small and larger groups.
• Follow agreed-upon rules for discussions (e.g., listening to others with care, speaking one at a time about the topics and texts under discussion).
• Build on others’ talk in conversations by responding to the comments of others through multiple exchanges.
Ask questions to clear up any confusion about the topics and texts under discussion
SL.1.2. Ask and answer questions about key details in a text read aloud or information presented orally or through other media.
SL.1.3. Ask and answer questions about what a speaker says in order to gather additional information or clarify something that is not understood.
College and Career Readiness - Speaking and Listening Standards Grade 1
2. Ask and answer questions about key details in a text read aloud or information presented orally or through other media.
Instructional Objectives (SW)
• Listen to the story White Rabbit by Alan Baker
o Make predictions about what will happen next (language arts)
o Respond about jobs of Author and Illustrator
o Respond to the story by answering and asking questions, and discussing ideas (language arts)
o Use words to describe location, size, color and shape (language arts)
• Sing a song about the primary colors, “The Red & Yellow Blues”
• Identify the primary colors
• Paint with the primary colors
• Identify the basic shapes in a rabbit
• Draw a rabbit
• Paint two rabbits
• Cut out a rabbit (cutting skills)
• Glue their rabbit and grass (gluing skills)
• Create and add grass to their rabbit artwork - overlapping
• Make artistic judgments about their artwork
Art lesson, Common Core English Language Arts