Steps for Setting up the Center
1. Model a Who Am I paper filled in for you.
2. Have all students fill in a paper. I did mine in small groups so I could check their work.
3. Students lightly write their name on the back of the paper.
4. Each week to have my first grade students practice completing and reading a graph- I write 5 names as choices of who it could be. Students must graph who they think it could be after they solve the problems to get clues about that person.
5. On Friday we look at the completed graph and I ask questions like, “How many more people think it is Sally than Will?”
6. Finally on Friday we reveal who it is. “Can the mystery person please reveal themselves?” We make it really dramatic. It is a bit of HGTV Love it or List it.
This is meant to be a weekly math center. I have all of my students complete the Who Am I paper in advance.
Suggestions per grade level:
-K: Students draw items or tally marks to show the number.
-1st: Students use simple addition or subtraction sentences. They also can use missing number patterns at the beginning of the year.
EX:3-1= 4+5= 4, ___, 6
-2nd: Addition and subtraction number sentences
EX: 45-40= 2+4=
-3rd: Multiplication or division problems
EX: 3x2 12/3
I have included the Who Am I paper that I use in my classroom. There is also a blank copy to have students make up their own headings.