Subjects: Science, Math, English, Computer Science, Health/ Social
Grades: 1 and 2
Students will understand that...
Earth supports many different animal habitats, each of which has distinct features and distinct plant and animal populations.
Animals and plants are adapted to the conditions of the habitats in which they live.
There are differences between needs and wants.
Content specific and generalizable/transferrable topics….
• What is a habitat?
• How do habitats provide for living things?
• What makes animals suited for their environment?
• What do animals need to survive?
• What is the difference between a need and a want?
• Why does the earth support many different animal habitats and how?
Students will know...
• The four basic needs: food, water, shelter, and air.
• Difference between a need and a want
• Different types of habitats supported on Earth
• How different habitats uniquely provide for living things.
• Specific animal features and behaviors that can help or hinder their survival in a specific habitat.
Students will be able to…
• Show their knowledge of an animal and how it adapts through a final presentation
• Conduct research using text and internet to find information about this animal
• Demonstrate good listening skills
• Create a bar graph
• Read and comprehend informational text