If you're looking for an engaging read, you NEED to introduce your students to the "Who Would Win?" series written by Jerry Pallotta. My students LOVE reading these books together and discussing which animal would win in the ultimate battle.
This resource includes:
- A title page
- A characteristics page (physical qualities, size, habitat, diet)
- Facts and Fun Facts page for notes
- Opinion Writing template (rough draft template and good copy paper included)
- Editing Checklist and Peer Editing Checklist
- World Map (to colour in where each animal lives)
- Illustration page (draw and label each animal the book is comparing)
- Venn Diagram
- Who has the Advantage Checklist (corresponding to 14 books, plus a blank option)
The Advantage Checklist pages correspond to the following books: Rhinoceros vs. Hippopotamus, Lion vs. Tiger, Polar Bear vs, Grizzly Bear, Komodo Dragon vs. King Cobra, Hornet vs. Wasp, Tarantula vs. Scorpion, T-Rex vs. Velociraptor, Wolverine vs. Tasmanian Devil, Whale vs. Giant Squid, Alligator vs. Python, Lobster vs. Crab, Hammerhead vs. Bull Shark, Rattlesnake vs. Secretary Bird and Killer Whale vs. Great White Shark.
Students can work together (share the same book/animal) or draw names and each student researches a different animal (I have two copies of each book in my class and students are working independently to complete these activities).
Use this resource to help introduce and support your Opinion/Persuasive Writing Unit :)
Depending on the abilities of your students, they can do this independently or in partners. Your stronger readers will be able to find the information in the books more easily and could help/partner with the lower/younger readers.
I would love to hear any feedback from you regrading my product and what your students think of the activities, so if you remember, please come back and leave a comment below!!